6.01.2013

Sovereignty in a Spilled Drink





(This post has been sitting in draft for a week or two. Hence the "yesterdays" and "last nights" aren't actually. :))
 
"Stuff" doesn't just happen; sovereignty is always happening."~ Scotty Smith

I've been reading a lot lately about this whole subject of blogging.  Technical aspects of blogging, the craft of writing, the whole social media/building community thing, etc.  Right now I'm sorting through what is helpful and what isn't, what is most important and what is not so much quite yet (given limited resources), and finally what is great for other people vs. what is actually me.  I've been pondering why I blog...what is my purpose, and what does that mean about how I blog?


I hope that you will begin to see some of the fruit of all that reading, sorting, and pondering soon.  There are changes on the horizon.  Not necessarily major ones...but a little re-arranging here, some spiffing and polishing there, and improved, more consistent content all around.


In the meantime, however, this post is probably going to break every "rule" I've read in my studies of this bloggy craft.  Every rule except one, that is...to write from the heart.  I was struck by this verse in the She Reads Truth Bible Study yesterday...

"...that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" ~Psalm 30:12

I don't ever want to "be silent" when I can be giving Him glory and praise instead.   I want to praise Him in the good, the bad, and everything in between.


Yesterday was one of those roller-coaster days here.  You know the ones:  when bedtime comes and you feel like your head is spinning in circles, and you know you need to go to bed but you are too tired to get there, and you are pretty sure that sleep is going to be elusive despite your exhaustion because your mind is racing so fast...those days.  And all I could think was "Yet will I praise Him"


From last night's journal...


Bro. Gary said Sunday morning that if Satan thinks he sees a chink in your armor, he will come at you in that place of weakness again and again and again.  He started the day today hitting me in one of my biggest places of weakness, and ended it hitting me in one of the few even bigger.  In between we've had major interruptions to our schedule and news that an extended family member had an accident and was in ICU.  My mind and body are worn completely out tonight, and I gave up hours ago on completing anything else on my to do list today.  God has given me a chance this week to share with several people some of what God has done in our lives in the past few years.  I have learned that often when that happens, God is preparing ME for a time when I need to remember His faithfulness.  I am thankful for those reminders, and I am thankful that I KNOW that He is good, and He is faithful, and He is sovereign.  As He reminded me in a crazy way Sunday morning, and then again through Sunday night's Bible study, God has had every tiny detail PLANNED from before the foundation of the world.  His love is beyond our comprehension.  He loves our children far more than even Billy and I can, and He holds us in the palm of His hand.  Nothing can happen to us that He has not allowed and planned for His glory and our good.  


That crazy Sunday morning thing? We stopped at the neighborhood convenience store to get drinks on the way to church...their 79 cent fountain drinks are a treat in the summertime!  Being the graceful person I am (no laughing from those who know better!), I promptly knocked over the cup I had just filled and it went everywhere.  Bayley and I began to frantically clean up the counters, and I asked the clerk if I could use a mop to clean up the floor.  She said not to worry, she would take care of it. I apologized and thanked her.


As we finished getting our drinks, I noticed a youngish man mopping my spill up off the floor.  He didn't appear to work there...he was dressed in a white tank-style undershirt, his hair was rather unkempt, and most of his visible skin was covered in tattoos.  I thanked him for his help, apologizing again for my clumsiness.


"No problem...accidents happen!" he said in a friendly tone.  Then he stopped and added, "Well, actually, they don't.  Every little thing that happens to us has been part of God's plan from the very beginning.  He knew this was going to happen, and there was a reason.  Maybe these minutes that you've lost are going to keep you from being in a wreck...who knows?"


I agreed, trying not to look too surprised, thanked him again, paid for our drinks, and we headed out to the van.  I had already decided that at least part of the reason I had made such a mess was because God knew I needed that reminder...from an unlikely source...that morning.


All through this week, I've remembered our encounter with the "convenience store theologian" many times.  The whole week has actually been a bit of a roller-coaster, and I've needed every reminder that God has given of His faithfulness.


Are you struggling right now?  What reminders have you seen lately of God's faithfulness?   How has God's Sovereignty been a comfort to you?


What a comfort to know that not only is He sovereign, but He cares for us.  If we have accepted His free gift of salvation by grace through faith, we can rest in that care no matter the struggle we are facing.


Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 
Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 
Be sober-minded; be watchful. 
Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.  
Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.  
And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.  
To him be the dominion forever and ever. 
Amen.
~  1 Peter 5:6-11





Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Don't want to miss a post?  Please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar.  I'd also love to hear from you in the comments or via the email option on my profile page.
If you enjoy the content on Ponderings of an Elect Exile, please share with others using the share buttons below, or the Pin It buttons above.  Thank you!  



No comments: