6.17.2013

Old-Fashioned Popcorn and Homemade Caramel Sauce



Today is (optional) video blog challenge day for the Blogathon.  I've never done a video blog before, but I did entertain the idea of attempting one today.  Then I woke up sick this morning.  I actually started feeling sick last night, which was why I did a super-simple photo post last night.  Today has not been the day for any sort of serious mental labor, so tonight is also going to be short and simple.



Not long ago I made old-fashioned popcorn for the first time in years. I wanted to have popcorn already-made to snack on during the week.  So...I poured a little oil in my stock pot, added some popcorn, put the lid on, and began to shake. 

As I was reading online about making popcorn on the stove, I discovered there are two camps: one that insists you must shake the pan while the corn is popping, and one that says that is not necessary.  Do you pop popcorn the old-fashioned way? Do you shake? Or not?  Let me know in the comments...I'm curious! 

The popcorn was great.  We enjoyed it with salt, butter, and/or white cheese popcorn topping.  

Later that day, I decided I wanted some caramel popcorn. I decided to try my hand at homemade caramel sauce.  If I'd had any idea how easy (and delicious!) it was, I'd have done it a long time ago!

I used this recipe, with brown sugar rather than succanat.  It knocked our socks off! 

Billy loves caramel.  He gave this caramel sauce super-rave reviews.  

 

Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Don't want to miss a post?  Please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar.  I'd also love to hear from you in the comments or via the email option on my profile page.  You can also share this post or others via the share buttons on each post.

No comments: