6.05.2014

A Not-So-Simple Case of Blogger's Block

 
 
I'm sitting at a local coffee shop, in the sunroom overlooking the park. I've looked forward all week to this quiet, uninterrupted time to blog.  Since deciding to participate in the June Blogathon, life has gone pell mell full speed ahead, and I've barely slapped up a blog post "just in the nick of time" each of the four nights of the Blogathon to this point.

I thought I'd have time to compose most of today's post earlier in the day, and then finish it up and perhaps get a bit ahead while at the coffee shop tonight. 

But it's been one of those days, and there hasn't been a long enough stretch of minutes to string a few sentences together.  No problem, I thought, I'll have plenty of time to write today's post at the coffee shop.

I have a list, you see, a list of planned blog topics, as well as a number of posts in various stage of completion hanging out in Blogger draft and Evernote. 

No problem...just pick one out and finish it up.

Except that I've been through my lists at least three times while sitting at my corner table, and my brain refuses to finish even one of them.

I will at some point, I'm sure, but the only posts that are motivating me tonight are posts for which I need to be at home for one reason or another...to reference a book, to pull photos off my desktop hard drive, or some other equally frustrating reason. 

So here I sit as the sun begins to go down, watching the walkers and runners and babies in strollers on the walking path in the park.  (There are some serious runners out there tonight...wow!  A girl who looks as though she could be an Olympic runner has lapped the track several times in a blur.  A guy who could probably almost compete with her has run by a few times, too.  Then there is a guy who is obviously out of shape but very determined (I'm recognizing that look these days!), who runs by each time looking like he's about to run his last step...but then he comes around later on yet another round. 

Then there's the girl walking in a sweater.  It's somewhere around 90 degrees.  I cannot even imagine wearing a sweater inside right now, much less while walking the park.

I've been here an hour, and the only thing I can come up with to write about is blogger's block. 

Really??

Yes, really. 

I'm giving myself a mental beating, as I was determined that today's post would be a post of substance.

Apparently that is going to have to wait until tomorrow.  I've been out of the blogging saddle too long, and I haven't had a chance to re-establish my rhythm. 

But I have a plan.  Tomorrow I will sit in my comfy chair at my desk in front of my trusty desktop screen with my cute stripey blogging notebook and PULL. IT. TOGETHER. 

In the meantime, I'm going to go get some boys from the movies, take home the ones who don't belong to me, listen to my son's review of Godzilla, and then add some cute baby bird photos to the end of this post and call it done.

(The baby bird is adorable, btw.  It sat on our fence for quite some time today.  We think it's a Eurasian Collared Dove fledgling. *heart*)

What do you do when you have a creative/mental block of any kind?  I'd love to hear your tips in the comments!
 





 
 
Welcome to Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Whether you are new here or a faithful friend and regular reader, I'm glad you're here!  If you aren't already following, I'd love to have you join us for the 2014 Ponderings.  It's easy to do, in a variety of ways!  You can follow via  Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest, or  find me on Instagram as Jenbh68. You can also sign up in the sidebar to receive new posts by email. 

 

No comments: