9.28.2012

Child Protection Resources





I recently spoke to a group of moms about child protection issues.  I promised them a follow-up email with resources and links regarding some of the things we discussed that evening and others that we didn't get to.  As others who heard about the meeting have asked for info as well, I've decided that the most effective way to share it is here on the blog.  I hope that this post will be a dynamic jumping-off point for those who would like to learn more about how to protect our children, what to do when the unthinkable happens, and how the church can help families dealing with trauma.

This will not be a comprehensive list of everything available...just some articles and resources I've found helpful, as well as a centralized list of posts I've written about child protection issues or things God has taught and is teaching me through our journey. There are resources I've intentionally left out due to the fact that they involve approaches I'm not comfortable recommending to others.  There are many, many resources out there for those desiring to approach this from the traditional humanistic psychology based viewpoint.  Referrals for such services are readily available from state agencies.  As we have been strongly convicted to utilize only resources that align with Biblical principles (and seen God work amazingly through that), that will be the focus here.

I'm also going to share some of the quotes and Scripture passages I shared that night for those who wanted those.  To help me in organizing the information, I'm going to use the outline I prepared for sharing that evening. Hopefully that will help those who were there to find specific information more easily as well.


Intro/Story

Scripture: Psalm 40:1-5

I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
    and put their trust in the Lord.

Blessed is the man
    who makes the Lord his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
    to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O Lord my God,
    are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
    no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
    they would be too many to declare.

"Our task shouldn't be punishing the villains in our lives,
but enlarging the God who heals us from all wounds."
~ Mary DeMuth, Everything


When the Worst Happens...There is Hope! 

 Nothing comes as a surprise to God!

Scripture: Genesis 50:20

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Job 1:21-22

 The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
    may the name of the Lord be praised.” In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.


Psalm 139:13-16

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
    your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
    were written in your book
    before one of them came to be. 


Blog Posts on God's Sovereignty and Goodness, Our Suffering and Brokenness, and Hope:

Bombarded By His Sovereignty  *

...From All Evil... *

30 Days of Gratitude...Day 3...God's Sovereignty *

In Other Words...Sovereignty *

On the Subject of Suffering *

Worth a Read (Or a Listen)*

A Prayer for a Friend Doubting the Faith *

In Other Words...When Adversity Strikes *

I am Continually Amazed *

Sunday Sermon *

A Bit of a Ramble, Part 1 *

In Other Words...I Know a Whole Lot More For Sure *

The End of the Rope *

In Other Words...All is Well *

"A Whole Lot More for Sure" *

From My Journal... *

Thankful Friday *


This video clip by Voddie Baucham on asking the right question is excellent.  It doesn't specifically address abuse or trauma issues, but it is one of the best responses I've heard to those struggling with issues of suffering and God's sovereignty.   





I've shared this quote from Steven Curtis Chapman many times.  It is taken from this interview with Larry King on Larry King Live.  You can also see the entire interview (in multiple segments) on YouTube.
"I know a lot less about God, but the things I know about God, I know a whole lot more, for sure." 


Randy Alcorn's book If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil is an excellent resource for anyone dealing with suffering or doubts.  



Prevention and Protection
 
8 Ways to Protect Your Children From Sexual Abuse 

5 Things You Should Know About Child Sexual Offenders

"Tricky People" Are the New Strangers

Discernment and Sexual Predators

National Coalition for Child Protection Reform (I haven't read all that is available on this site, but there is some excellent material here, particularly the article "Why More Mandatory Reporting Hurts Children"...you'll have to scroll down to get to it.)


Ministering to Those Who've Experienced Trauma


"When a church fails to grasp the dynamics of child abuse, it is ill-equipped to 'welcome these little children in the name of Christ'." ~ Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE)
(*Note:  I don't agree with everything they post/publish, but they do have some good information.)
 
From Awareness to Understanding to Ministry...Abuse and the Body of Christ ~  *
"We can't all go outside our city, state, or country to do missions...and we don't have to.  There are so many people right around us...even sitting by us in church...who are hurting and who need to be ministered to.  Children and families affected by abuse are among those.  There is a huge mission/ministry field ripe for harvest that doesn't require travelling a mile or spending a dime.  Hurting children and families need to know that there is hope...that there is healing and comfort in the Father who holds us close to His heart as a Shepherd cradles a baby lamb.  We need to share the Gospel with those who are unsaved, and we need to minister to the injured members of the Body of Christ.  We need to let God's love flow through us to them; we need to be the hands and feet of Jesus to them.  Church needs to be a haven for those affected by abuse...a place where they can feel the safety they need to heal and grow.  "



We All Hurt ~ This doesn't deal with abuse per se, but is a good, short reminder about hurting people in general.

Desiring God: Interview with Justin Holcomb, author of Rid of My Disgrace. (EXCELLENT interview)


General Resources

Rid of My Disgrace, by Justin and Lindsey Holcomb ~ This is the best resource I have found on this issue. Justin and Lindsey Holcomb deal with this subject Biblically and gracefully.  

Thin Places, by Mary DeMuth ~ Mary DeMuth's writing has ministered to me greatly throughout our journey.  Her story is one of hope and healing through God's grace.  


For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Jesus truly is our Wonderful Counselor.  The most important thing for anyone dealing with this type of trauma in any form is to seek Him as Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.


Bugs Bunny, Facebook, and Stewarding the Story *

Protecting Children, Part 1*

Protecting Children, Part 2*

Protecting Children, Part 3*


(Resources marked with an asterisk * are blog posts here at Ponderings of an Elect Exile.)


If you've found these resources helpful, please consider pinning this post on Pinterest to share with others.  Thanks! 




Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Don't want to miss a post?  Please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar.  I'd also love to hear from you in the comments or via the email option on my profile page. 


 

No comments: