11.04.2011

30 Days of Gratitude ~ Day 3 ~ God's Sovereignty






I'm still behind...I had hoped to finish this this morning and do "today's" post tonight, but it's not going to happen.  Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow. :)  

This truly is yesterday's post, though.  Yesterday morning I woke up feeling kind of like an order of Waffle House hash browns..."scattered and smothered".  Not were there some {relatively minor, by comparison} things hanging over me and causing anxiety, but it seemed like everywhere I turned, someone was facing true crisis.  Missionary friends across the world discovering their son (the same age as our Peter) has had a recurrence of his cancer.  A friend's dad undergoing testing for what could be serious medical issues.  And on and on.  

Then the day itself was "one of those days" at our house.  Mom wasn't feeling well, the kids were all out of sorts, everyone was behind...not a good day all around.   On the one hand, I kept reminding myself that the little irritations and stressors in my life were nothing compared to so many others.  On the other...it might have all been pretty minor, but it was miserable nonetheless.  

And yet all day, God kept reminding me of His sovereignty...that no matter what it *seems* like when I look at things going on around me, God is in complete control, none of it has come as a surprise to Him, and He has a plan, for good and not for evil, for a hope and a future...in each and every instance.   

As I was pondering this post this morning, I realized that while I may feel "scattered and smothered", actually  "scattered, smothered, and covered" would apply.  "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." (Psalm 91:4) He is sovereign over all, and He covers us with His feathers.  

Even since the time I originally started this post early this morning, today has spun a bit out of control.  Nothing major, just one of those, "Really?  Now?" happenings that come along just in time to unravel carefully laid plans.  Just in the last hour or so, I've had to remind myself, "This, too, came as no surprise to God.  His plans are perfect...even when it's hard for us to see them that way."

Whether the day is filled with "normal craziness", serious crisis, or peaceful calm, I'm so thankful for His constant reminders of His sovereignty and faithfulness.  I am thankful that things are not just spinning crazily out of control as they sometimes feel, but that everything that happens is part of His perfect plan, and He is in total control of it all.  

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore you are of more value than many sparrows.
 ~Matthew 10:29-31 





No comments: