4.17.2008

Yum!!

I haven't cooked much lately. Between Mother's accident, dealing with storm damage, and just general busy-ness...Growing Kids' Sale, annual homeschool testing, VBS workshop, etc., I just haven't had much time or clarity of mind to cook. We've eaten convenience foods, eaten out a few times (more than we should have...ack), and had several wonderful meals brought by friends. Last night I was *determined* to cook, but not really up to anything requiring a lot of work or thought...we had been up all night the night before with a sick Em, and I was completely exhausted. I was trying to figure out what to fix for supper when I happened upon this recipe. It looked like something my crew would like, I had all the ingredients, and, best of all, it looked quick and easy.

I have a tendency to use recipes as a *jumping off point* for doing my own thing (except when I am baking...baking intimidates me and I rarely deviate from the recipe there ;-)), and this was no exception. The less onion the better at our house (in most cases), so for this I left it out completely. I also left out the red pepper. :-) And after the cheese melted, I threw in a handful of bacon pieces. (For my crew, everything is better with a bit of bacon. :-) ) It turned out great...Billy asked me to send leftovers in his lunch today (the sure sign of a successful recipe around here), and the kids loved it.

Here's how our final recipe looked:

5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I'll use more next time...not everyone was eating last night :))
2 cans chicken broth
seasoning salt to taste
pepper to taste
12 oz. cream cheese, cut into chunks
Hormel real bacon pieces, a handful :)

Combine broth, potatoes, and spices.
Boil on med. heat till potatoes are tender.
Partially mash potatoes with potato masher to release start for thickening.
Reduce to low heat.
Add cream cheese.
Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.
Toss in handful of bacon bits.

Serve with biscuits and honey butter and a salad. Yum!!

No comments: