7.09.2009

Mega Memory Month...Behind as Usual!






Ack! I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland: "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!"

Mega Memory Month started July 1 at Ann Kroeker's, and here it is July 9 and I am *just now* deciding what we are going to work on this month! Eek.

However, after MUCH thought and prayer, I have rejected, for one reason or another *every* passage I had initially thought about doing, and settled on one I hadn't even considered before this morning. Typical. :) All of those that were "rejected" this time are going on a list for upcoming months, but either I wanted to save them until we are actually doing more formal "school" again, or I felt like we needed to devote an entire month to them (without a late start :)).

So...July's Mega Memory Month passage is...

I Corinthians 13.

I've decided we could all use this right now. Besides, it is just one of those passages everyone should know and *I* have never even memorized the whole thing.

We are memorizing it from the English Standard Version (ESV). The ESV is replacing my beloved NIV as my preferred translation, and earlier this year I got a great deal on a new ESV Study Bible...I love it!! However, we aren't necessarily doing all of our memorizing from it. I usually look up what we are going to memorize in ESV, NASB, NIV, and KJV. I'm trying to memorize mostly from ESV or NASB, but occasionally (especially if it is something I know well in NIV or KJV), we will use one of the others. This time I just felt like the meaning of the ESV was more clear.

This one is going to be a challenge. Not the passage itself, but our memorizing of it! Although we do school year-round (mostly :)), our early summer break ran a bit longer than I anticipated this year, so we are still *on* break this week. The plan is that we will go back to a light school week next week, and then add in a bit more the last two weeks of this month. This will be the first time we've started MMM when we weren't actively schooling, so it should be interesting. :)

By tomorrow I will have new Mega Memory Month folders made for everyone, as well as a new cassette recording. I haven't decided if we will sign this one or not, but I'm leaning toward signing. :) I also hope to add in a few activities from the various scripture memory activity books I have but have trouble pulling out to actually *use*. :) We'll see how that goes...:-)


I Corinthians 13 (ESV)

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.



1 comment:

Jim said...

Enjoyed your thoughts and how you are homeschooling. I especially like that your are getting your kids to memorize scripture. I know many scriptures, but always wish I knew more (I'm 49 yrs. old).
I too have found ESV my main everyday and study Bible, but memorize mostly in KJV because I am so familiar with it. Keep up the good work and saturate those children with the Word and with them seeing Christ in you.

Pastor Jim