5.11.2008

Sunday Song

I love hymns. That is no secret to anyone who knows me, or to anyone who reads this blog regularly. I am amazed sometimes at the power in the words of these songs we so often sing with little thought to their meanings. I love the chillbumps I feel occasionally when the words to an old, familiar hymn become alive with new meaning because of the situation God has me in at that moment. And I am delighted to come across a new (to me) hymn every once in a while that stuns me with awesome truth.

That is what happened this morning. Well....technically this wasn't a *new* hymn; I remember singing it once or twice before and being just as blown away. It was even more meaningful today because of several reminders lately of how blessed I am to have a godly husband and close Christian friends who have walked through some very, very difficult times with me over the past few years. I've been reminded several times this week that there are many who still pray for salvation for lost husbands, and many who long for deep Christian friendships that aren't there.

We have been so blessed, during the difficult times we've experienced over the past few years, to have friends who have truly shared our joy and sorrow and who continue to "walk the mile and bear the load" with us. What a blessing that is, and how thankful I am for those special friends who have lived out every word of this song.

The Servant Song

We are trav'lers on a journey, Fellow pilgrims on the road;
We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load.
I will hold the Christ-light for you in the nighttime of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you, Speak the peace you long to hear.

Sister, let me be your servant, Let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant, too.
Brother, let me be your servant, Let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant, too.

I will weep when you are weeping, When you laugh, I'll laugh with you;
I will share your joy and sorrow, Till we've seen this journey through.
When we sing to God in Heaven, We shall find such harmony,
Born of all we've known together of Christ's love and agony.

~Richard Gillard

No comments: