11.05.2012

O Sacred Head...

 

We sang one of my very favorite hymns at church yesterday morning.  It was one of my dad's favorites, too.  The words are amazing, and the melody/harmony are gorgeous.


 

O sacred Head, now wounded,
With grief and shame weighed down;
Now scornfully surrounded
With thorns, thine only crown;
O sacred Head, what glory,
What bliss till now was thine!
Yet, though despised and gory,
I joy to call thee mine.

What thou, my Lord, hast suffered
Was all for sinners' gain:
Mine, mine was the transgression,
But thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Saviour!
'Tis I deserve thy place;
Look on me with thy favor,
Vouchsafe to me thy grace.

What language shall I borrow
To thank thee, dearest Friend,
For this thy dying sorrow,
Thy pity without end?
O make me thine for ever;
And should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never
Outlive my love to thee.





I am thankful for my parents and for churches who have passed on a rich heritage of hymns.  As Guy Penrod says, "We don't sing them because they're old...we sing them because they're good!"


(Three times since I decided to attempt to post daily in November, Blogger hasn't let me post when I've tried to.  That's putting a bit of a kink in the plans. :)  This is actually Sunday's post.  Monday's post to come soon! :))


No comments: