11.07.2012

"I Know Who Holds Tomorrow..." {Or Post-Election Day Thoughts}




Okay, I still have Monday's post and Tuesday's post to go...they are all composed in my head, but Blogger has been terribly uncooperative lately...but I'm going to go ahead right now and post Wednesday's post *now* and then work my way back to Monday and Tuesday later (I hope!)




Woke up with this old song on my mind this morning...

"Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand..."

 

Things may seem much more uncertain this morning, with "four more years", than they did even last night when I went to bed, with the electoral votes neck in neck.  However, I have to remind myself this morning of several things:

1. God is in control.  He is no less in control today than He was yesterday.   He knew before the foundations of the world who would win yesterday's election. The outcome of the election came as no surprise to God, and furthermore, it is part of His divine plan. 

"I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." (Job 42:2)

2.  I wasn't thrilled with either option in this election.  I voted for Romney because his positions lined up more closely with Scripture than Obama's, but I had major concerns with the thought of Romney as president as well.  Neither man follows the God of the Bible.  

3.  Even if there had been a viable candidate who was a Godly Christian, he would not have been the savior of this country. Would I love to see someone in the White House who truly followed God and His Word?  Yes.  Would that mean that all of our country's troubles were over?  No.  Our country has massive political problems.  But abortion, same-sex marriage, government healthcare, and the
Benghazi debacle are just symptoms.  The problem isn't who sits in the Oval Office...the problem is sin.  And that won't change until Jesus returns.  Yes, we need to stand up for what is right.  Yes, we need to do what we can to make changes.   But we must always realize that we live in a fallen world, and the only true answer to any of its problems is Jesus.  

4.  I may be very unhappy about yesterday's results, but I have these responsibilities today and onward: (1) to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength (Luke 10:27), (2) to love my neighbor (even those with whom I disagree politically! :)) as myself,  (3) to nurture my children and teach them diligently (Deut. 6:6-9), (4) to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19-20), and (5) to respect and pray for those in authority (Romans 13:1-2).




I am thankful today that God is still on His throne, and that the same Hand that holds tomorrow and the king's heart (Proverbs 21:1) not only holds my hand, but has my name inscribed on it! (Isaiah 49:16)


 Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  If this is your first time here, please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar.  I'd also love to hear from you in the comments or via the email option on my profile page. 


No comments: