4.08.2010

Daybook Monday...Busy Week Ahead!


FOR TODAY... April 5, 2010 *and*  April 7, 2010


*Note:  I started this post Monday and never finished it...so entries in blue are from Monday and entries in red are from Wednesday night. :)


Outside my window...  Dark.  I'm finally sitting down to blog after the kids are in bed. :)

I am remembering...  my Granny Marks.  I made chicken gravy for the first time in...well, I truly don't know how long.  Maybe ever. :)  It wasn't from scratch...but it turned out really well, and the rice with chicken gravy we had with Billy's grilled chicken for supper reminded me SO much of Granny's.  It was like we were back in the kitchen eating at her red Formica table.   I miss her wonderful cooking so much!  More than that, I miss Granny!   I miss crafting with her, and sitting companionably in the dining room...her at the table with her Coca-Cola and me on the sofa with my Diet Coke...each reading our books and chatting occasionally about whatever came to mind.  Most of all, I miss one of the greatest "cheerleaders" in my life.  

I am thinking...   about how spring is flying by and how close we are getting to summer activities..."the wedding"  :), camp (which we aren't going to be able to attend this year due to Billy's schedule, but which is coming up quickly regardless :)), and VBS.   And yet tonight it feels like winter again outside! :)

I am thankful for...   God's provision in every area, big and small, always.  

Noticing that...   having to take time out for our tiny bits of "test prep" and testing has me "chomping at the bit" to get back to "just school" and "real learning".   When I was online recently looking up some test prep info, I was amazed (although I "know" this, so I shouldn't have been) what a HUGE industry "test prep" is and what an incredible amount of time and money  public schools put into it these days.  It made me feel so sorry for public school teachers who truly love teaching and want their students to love learning, who have to deal with the "testing" issue on such a huge level, compared to what we do.   I can only imagine what this "I want to get back to the good stuff!!" feeling must be like for them sometimes.  

I am praying for...  a better day tomorrow.  Today was one of "those" Mondays, at the beginning of a busy week in which we need to make much progress.  Praying for smoother and more productive days from here!

From the learning rooms...  Testing this week...*so* ready to have that OUT of the way and just get back to "learning". :)  We went to an art event at the library this week and came home with some *wonderful* art books...can't *wait* to dig into them after testing!

On my mind...  The words to "You Are God Alone"... (by Billy J. and Cindy Foote)



You are not a god created by human hands
You are not a god dependent on any mortal man
You are not a god in need of anything we can give
By Your plan that's just the way it is


You are God alone, from before time began
You were on your throne, You were God alone
And right now,in the the good times and bad
You are on Your throne, You are God alone
You're Unchangeable,  You're Unshakeable
You're Unstoppable, that's what You are


You're the only God whose power none can contend
You're the only God whose name and praise will never end
You're the only God who's worthy of everything we can give
You are God ~ That's just the way it is

You are God alone, from before time began
You were on your throne, You were God alone
And right now, in the the good times and bad
You are on Your throne, You are God alone
You're Unchangeable,  You're Unshakeable
You're Unstoppable,  that's what You are


After a very rough afternoon, which brought with it the sensation of yet another tidal wave from a strong and long-lasting storm, I *so* needed to be reminded of the words to this song we sang in children's choir.  As I listened to Kathy and the kids singing those words, and read them on the page in front of me at the piano, tears threatened as I soaked in the thought of His *still* being on His throne, Unchangeable, Unshakable, Unstoppable.  What awesome truth!  And what a comfort! 


Pondering these words... This post by Mary DeMuth.   It really hit me tonight...maybe because I have had this "same song 32nd verse" feeling all afternoon about a situation we are dealing with??   What a different (and wonderful!) way to look at such times.  Especially given my fondness for 3rd and 4th verses!!   Somehow it helped immensely tonight to look at the events of the day as being in the 3rd verse of the hymn.  And to know that the chorus...where God reminds us *yet again* of His power, and glory, and love, and sovereignty, and sufficiency, and faithfulness...will come again soon.  Love that word picture!  

From the kitchen...   Working on a menu for the next two weeks, and looking forward to the cooking plans Billy has for his four-day weekend this weekend.  I'm so glad he loves to cook. :)

I am creating... plans to create. :)  I am really hoping for a bit of scrapbooking time during our long weekend!

I am reading...   a "stack", as usual.  Thought you might like to *see* the stack this week...:)



I am hearing...   Quiet!  A beautiful sound after a chaotic day. 

Around the house...  Trying to get caught up on laundry, still need to do the Great Spring Clothes Swap, and need to move on to part 2 of the Dining Room/Schoolroom/Studio/Office project. :)

One of my favorite things...   


(sweet notes from my children)






(and flowers from my sweet husband :))

A few plans for the rest of the week:   A couple of "normal" days of school, a kids' art event at the library Tuesday night, choir x 2 Wednesday night, and then testing Thursday.  SOO ready to have that over with for another year!  (Did I say that once already?? :)) Drs. appt. for me on Friday (Yuck!!), but Billy has a four-day weekend this week...yay!...so hopefully we'll get lots accomplished and have lots of good family time this weekend.  

From the photo archive...  



(The best of the not-good pictures from Easter. :-/  Peter begged me not to post any of the ones I took of him, so I'm trying to be a sweet mom and accede to his wishes. :))




For more Daybook entries, please visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook...

siggy1

No comments: