6.23.2009

In Other Words…

“There was a time when [you fill in] defined my life and left me physically void, cocooned in a prison of fear.  It stole my every hope and dream.  But God’s love and His Word set my heart free. I learned that within the confines  of God’s story, nothing had been stolen from me, rather everything was given to me. My life, which felt so out of control, was in reality in complete control – God’s control.”

~Wendy Blight

 

As I was waiting for a load of laundry to finish earlier tonight, I decided to pop over to “Writing Canvas” and peek at today’s In “Other” Words quote.  I don’t participate in IOWs as often as I’d like…it seems that often there is a quote about which I’d love to write, but I don’t have the time or mental energy, or I have time to write, but I don’t relate to the quote…but today’s quote resonated deeply with me. 

 

We’re just a few weeks away from the anniversary of the hardest week our family has ever experienced.  It’s been on my mind a lot lately, because in those days, our VBS was later in the summer…so that that week was the week before VBS.  As we prepared for VBS last week, and during the first couple of days of this year’s VBS this week, memories have come flooding back.  During those weeks, and for months afterward, I felt exactly what Wendy Blight describes above.  Physically void…just going through the motions and doing what “had to be done”.  Cocooned in a prison of fear…I’ve never been known as a particularly brave person, and I had been through some pretty scary circumstances before that time, but suddenly I knew fear like I’d never known before.  Hope…the word was  no longer even part of my vocabulary. 

 

And don’t even get me started on control.  I had always known that there were many things Billy and I could not protect our family from.  We had learned *vivid* lessons on that score when Ammah Grace was born at 30 weeks and spent 6 weeks in NICU.  But this was a loss of control on a whole new level…in a whole new sphere. 

 

In the difficult years since those awful weeks, I have experienced the rest of Wendy’s quote.  My faith was shaken to the core; for the first time ever, I questioned God’s love, His goodness, and the truth and solidity of His Word. 

 

In the agony and questioning that followed, God proved Himself amazingly, incredibly patient and faithful.  He met every question and doubt with rock-solid truth, and gave me a whole new assurance in His Word and His sovereignty. 

 

I am so looking forward to reading Wendy Blight’s new book, Hidden Joy in a Dark Corner.  Loni at “Writing Canvas” has reviewed it in detail and is giving away a copy this week (which I would love to win :)).  Visit her to enter, and to see others thoughts on this week’s quote. 

2 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

He met every question and doubt with rock-solid truth, and gave me a whole new assurance in His Word and His sovereignty.


What a wonderful testimony of an amazing, loving God. Bless you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ah...Jen. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. Tears for you and your family.


P.S. Love the new header. It's wonderful!