1.04.2009

999 Challenge Book List


Last year I had planned to participate in the 888 Challenge...8 books in 8 categories in 2008. It didn't happen. This year, LibraryThing is hosting the 999 Challenge...9 books in 9 categories in 2009. I'm not sure if I will *officially* sign up for the challenge, but I decided to use the challenge as the basis for a reading list for 2009. (I'm planning to do a similar list for reading I want to do with the kids this year...hopefully I'll get it posted later this week.)

My list still has a few gaps, but it's a start:

Spiritual Growth
Man of Faith (Stedman)
Our Covenant God (Arthur)
The Holiness of God (Sproul)
Pursuit of Holiness (Bridges)
When All Hell Breaks Loose (Lawson)
Dangerous Duty of Delight (Piper)
Loving God with All Your Mind (George)
A Heart Like His (Moore)
When Heaven is Silent (Dunn)

Christian Women
As Unto the Lord (Forster)
My Heart's At Home (Savage)
Professionalizing Motherhood (Savage)
Seasons of a Mother's Heart (Clarkson)
With My Whole Heart (Mains)
***
***
***
***

Parenting
Heart of Anger (Priolo)
Parenting of Champions (Lucas)
Keeping Our Children's Hearts (Maxwell)
Failure to Connect (Healy)
Faith Training (White)
Raising a Modern-Day Knight (Lewis)
Ten Things Parents Must Teach Their Children (Schaeffer) ###
***
***

Homeschool
Homeschooling With a Meek and Quiet Spirit (Maxwell)
Heart of Wisdom (Sampson)
Educating the Whole-Hearted Child (Clarkson)
Teaching the Trivium (Bluedorn)
Preparing Sons (Maxwell)
Life Skills for Kids (Field) ###
***
***
***

Creativity/Home
Hidden Art (Schaeffer)
Raising Musical Kids (Kavanaugh)
Keeping House (Peterson) ###
Life Organizer (Louden) ###
The Creative Call (Elsheimer) ###
The Creative Life (Bass) ###
Designing Your Home on a Budget (Barnes) ###
Line By Line (Cook)
Frugal Luxuries By the Seasons (McBride) ###

Biography/History/Politics
Dearest Friend (Lynne)
Memoirs of Robert E. Lee
Slander (Coulter)
Letters of Samuel Rutherford ###
Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher Preachers (Fritz)
Slouching Toward Gomorrah (Bork)
A Country I Do Not Recognize (Bork) ###
A Court Divided (Tushnet)
***

Encouraging Words
Treasures of Heaven in the Stuff of Earth (Mason)
Faithlift (Mason)
The Beautiful Ache (McLeroy)
The Sacred Ordinary (McLeroy)
The Consolations of Imperfection (McCollough) ###
***
***
***
***

Books From Other People's Reading Lists
Mentoring Mom (Kendall) ###
Church History in Plain Language (Shelley) ###
Treasuring God in Our Traditions (N. Piper) ###
Don't Waste Your Life (J. Piper) ###
Organizing for the Creative Person (Lemhkuhl) ###
How to Study Your Bible (Arthur) ###
Holiness By Grace (Chapell) ###
***
***

Smorgasboard
Why We Aren't Emergent: By Two Guys Who Should Be (DeYoung, Kluck) ###
Keeping the Sabbath Wholly (Dawn) ###
A New Kind of Normal (Kent) ###
***
***
***
***
***
***

### = Books not currently in my library; I plan to read these if I can find at the library or purchase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like I like~ :-)
Look into Elyse Fitzpatrick's "Because He loves me" if you need another one for women.

I think it's great to try and read from different categories. This year though, I want to focus on reading theological greats - especially since I can focus on them and not fall asleep right now. (When I'm pregnant or first year after baby, I'm in a brain fog).

Anyway, you and I will have to do some reviews as well since some of your books are not on my list - although I'd love to read them!

Thanks for sharing! :-)