11.21.2008

Thankful Thursday (on Friday)


(This is not the Thankful Thursday post I had planned for yesterday.  I thought I would have an opportunity to post last night, but it didn't happen.  And my thoughts have gone in a totally different direction since then.  I'm thankful for Iris and her weekly reminders to express our thanks, even though I haven't been good about actually posting them lately. :))



This morning I am thankful for another morning with my husband and my children.   

Last night I was browsing the cereal aisle in Wal-Mart when a friend walked up and said that a mom from church had died very suddenly and unexpectedly earlier in the evening.  From what I understand, she had seen two doctors in the past two days who both said the symptoms she was having were nothing to worry about.  

All I could think about the rest of the night was three little girls going to bed without their mama. 

This morning thoughts of the shock and pain her family is dealing with are mingled with thoughts about my own priorities.  Not the ones on paper...it's easy to make a list of "God, Family, Others" and feel like we have them all in order.  But in real life...it is so, so easy to let them become massively skewed.  It's so easy to think, "I'll do better when _________ is over," or "Tomorrow will be better."   But as God has reminded me again, there is no guarantee that He will give tomorrow.  

I'm thankful for another chance to work at getting them right.  I'm thankful for another chance to snuggle with my girls, listen to the boy's excitement about his latest Lego creation or what he just heard on the radio, and watch a movie with my husband.  I'm thankful for another chance to stop and deal with the 113 interruptions that I've had from four children (and two dogs) since I started trying to type this short post. :-)

I'm praying that God will help me to remember what a blessing every moment of today is...and every day to come...and that I will remember that "Live each day as though it were your last" is not just a trite saying...it is wise counsel.  

Please pray with me for the R. family today and this week.  

6 comments:

Michele Williams said...

Amen sweetie... Bless you for this timely reminder.

Denise said...

Bless you dear.

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I came from Thankful Thursdays. I'm going to subscribe so I can come back for a visit from time to time.

I'm SO sorry to hear about that family's loss. What a sad thing for them. I'm going to pray for those who are especially grieving her death ...

Thank you for reminding me how important it is to do more than just love my family ... but to 'love on' my family. There IS a difference, isn't there?

kel said...

Thanks for sharing that.
So sad to hear of a loss like that.
I have so much to be thankful for.

Melanie said...

Hi, Jennifer. I love your "thankful" entry. So important to sit back and think about how we have been blessed.
Just wanted you to know that I'm having a 100th past giveaway. Come on over and check it out! Happy Thanksgiving.

Kecia said...

Wow. I've already prayed for that poor family. Having 3 little girls myself, it sure makes you think. I do have much to be thankful for!