7.02.2013

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls




I had a post planned for today, and then I had an idea for a post I really wanted to post today instead.  And then I got busy and didn't finish it, and then Bay and I did a mad rush shopping trip after supper and now I am home and exhausted.

So instead of the post I'd originally planned, or the post I ended up really wanting to post today, I'm going to post a recipe instead.

At least I am if this mosquito which somehow made it into our house and is now circling me while I type, occasionally landing on me, but so far completely avoiding my attempts to kill him, doesn't DRIVE ME COMPLETELY BATTY AND LAND ME IN THE FUNNY FARM!

Sorry.  Just had to get that out.

Back to the recipe. I haven't posted one in a while.  I have a list of recipes I want to post.  I just need to cook them, and take pictures, and...well, you get the idea.  But this was kind of a last minute, "Wow, that's good, I should blog that!" thing. :)

So over the weekend, my friend J found this recipe for Unstuffed Cabbage. She made it (with some modifications), and I got to try it when I was at her house Sunday.  I was not expecting it to be nearly as good as it was. I was hooked. :)

I decided I'd make some today.  I made it according to J's changes, and it was wonderful!  (I don't know why that surprised me so much, since hers was wonderful, but somehow things aren't always as good when I make them myself as when others make them.  Does that ever happen to you??)

So without further ado...here it is. Try it. It's *so* good. (Don't let my picture scare you.  I was in a huge hurry to feed everyone in between Billy and Bay getting home from their last pre-5k run today and Bay and I getting out the door to do some last-minute shopping.  It looks and tastes way better than that photo lets on!)

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

1 1/2 lbs.  ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped


2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 head of cabbage, roughly chopped

8 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Brown ground beef.  (I cook mine up in large quantities and freeze in meal-size portions, so I just thawed mine with the onion and garlic.)  While it is browning, chop the onion and crush the garlic and add to beef.  Cover pan and continue cooking. 
Coarsely chop cabbage.  Add cabbage to meat mixture and stir often to cook evenly.  (If you haven't pre-cooked your ground beef, you will need to drain the grease before adding cabbage.) Re-cover the pan in between stirring.  Cabbage should start to wilt in about 10 minutes.  At that point, stir in tomato sauce, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.  Lower heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.


Yum!!


Have you tried any new recipes lately?  I'd love to hear in the comments!


Update on Bittersweet Last Times to Breathtaking Amazement post:


For those who saw last night's post about today's "anniversary date", I wanted to first say thank you to those who've prayed and messaged and commented in various places.  I also wanted to update you on today.  I wondered if when today actually arrived, the sense of peace and contentment and joy that I had felt the last couple of days would disappear.  It didn't.  Today has been a good day.  A really good day.  This was my status update on Facebook this morning:


Sitting in the backyard surrounded by a bevy of birds...listening to their songs and the chattering of the squirrels, watching the bluejays dance and the doves collecting twigs for a nest...celebrating God's grace and His mercies that are new every morning, thankful for His faithfulness always, but especially though the earth-shattering events that began 7 years ago today. Nothing but His grace could explain the fact that on this day, I can rejoice in His sovereignty, have peace in His plan, and be more sure than ever of His goodness.
God is good. Truly. And I am thankful. 

For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations.
~Psalm 100:5



Don't want to miss anything?  Please sign up in the box in the sidebar to receive posts by email, or take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.

You can also share this post using the share buttons below or the Pin It button above.

Thank you!

No comments: