7.13.2011

So why the Squirrels?



Templeton


Yes, it's another squirrel post.  And it occurred to me as I was editing photos for this post that perhaps some might wonder "Why the squirrels?"  So...I thought I'd answer that. :)  








First, like many of God's creatures, squirrels fascinate me.  They always have, ever since we used to watch them through the sliding glass door on our back porch at home.  And even before that...way back when I was a very young child and my Papaw Brown would crack pecans from my Aunt Sis's pecan grove and hand feed them to the squirrels on his patio.  I have a long history with squirrels. :)  








Second, they're here.  We always have squirrels in our backyard, in addition to a variety of birds.  Two of the current population, Templeton and Riki Tiki, have really come to trust us...they will almost eat out of Billy's hand, and they will let me get pretty close with the camera these days.  There are two additional "regulars" (there are a couple of large squirrel nests in our backyard trees...) that are becoming more trusting all the time.  Billy hasn't named them yet...he is still "getting to know them" and will name them after seeing more of their personalities. :)  








Third, they don't mind the camera.  My poor children get tired of being Mama's "guinea pigs".  I have much, much to learn about my camera and about technical and creative aspects of photography.  The squirrels are great test subjects!   They give my children a break, and give me something to practice on during this time when I can't sit outside for the longer periods necessary to take pictures of the birds. 


Riki Tiki




Which brings me to the fourth reason...I can photograph the squirrels in short bursts.  In order to photograph the birds, I have to get settled into a chair and wait until the birds get comfortable with my being there, and then sit very, very still in the same spot while taking pics.  With the triple-digit temps we've had lately, that isn't happening.  With the squirrels, I can grab my camera, take off out the door, walk up to the tree, take a succession of pictures, and be back in the house *almost* before I break a sweat. :)




Fifth, they just fascinate me.  Oh, I think I already said that. :)  But they do.  I watch them do stunts in the tops of the trees and think they are without a doubt going to plunge to their deaths, I watch them play with each other almost like my children do sometimes, I watch them hang onto the tree with their back toes and hold a piece of bread in their hands, swinging back and forth as they eat, and think "Don't they ever fall off???"  I watch them and wonder what exactly was going through God's mind as He created them...those skinny little toes with the long sharp claws, the big bushy tails they use to help balance themselves, the beady eyes that miss nothing, the sharp teeth that nibble away at whatever they happen to be eating.  I see up close the care that He took in creating a squirrel, and then multiply that by all that He created, including the grand finale...us!...and I just marvel all over again at His creatorship.  (Is that a word?  Blogger doesn't like it.  But I do, so it's staying there. :))






Psalm 148

Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD from the heavens;
   praise him in the heights!
Praise him, all his angels;
   praise him, all his hosts!Praise him, sun and moon,
   praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens,
   and you waters above the heavens!

Let them praise the name of the LORD!
   For he commanded and they were created.
And he established them forever and ever;
   he gave a decree, and it shall not pass away.
Praise the LORD from the earth,
   you great sea creatures and all deeps,
fire and hail, snow and mist,
    stormy wind fulfilling his word!
Mountains and all hills,
    fruit trees and all cedars!
Beasts and all livestock,
   creeping things and flying birds!

Kings of the earth and all peoples,
   princes and all rulers of the earth!
Young men and maidens together,
   old men and children!
Let them praise the name of the LORD,
   for his name alone is exalted;
    his majesty is above earth and heaven.
He has raised up a horn for his people,
    praise for all his saints,
   for the people of Israel who are near to him.
Praise the LORD!





2 comments:

t marie said...

Wow. Stunning pics. And I like squirrels. Early in the morning, well before the first class, I would walk to campus at OBU. The squirrels would be out in force in front of the library, under the trees. I called it the Squirrel Olympics. It was so much fun to watch. (And I'm a big fan of your word creatorship!)

mamahanah said...

I love squirrels, too! So much fun to watch them scamper around. Loved watching them when our cat would sit in the window watching - they'd be shaking their tales & chattering warnings.

Yes, they can fall, but probably only if startled. My husband threw a walnut near one to startle it. It hit the tree branch next to the squirrel, and that squirrel let go and jumped/fell all the way to the ground. When we leaned closer to make sure it was okay, it jumped up and ran faster than I've ever seen any squirrel run!