3.23.2011

Functional Universalism?



I've shared before (here and here) about some of my experiences with the topic of universalism and those who hold to universalist beliefs.   Because of some of those experiences, I've watched/read/listened to the controversy surrounding Rob Bell's new book, Love Wins, with a great deal of interest and quite a bit of sadness at the thought of people being deceived by the universalist thought that is becoming so prevalent even in the "church" today.  


Then came Sunday's message from Romans 9:1-5:

I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit—that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.  
For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh. 
They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. 
To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ who is God over all, blessed forever.
 Amen. 

I think quite a few of us left with seriously bruised toes.  The thought of Paul being anguished to the point of willingness to give up his own salvation for the sake of the lost...that is a depth of love for Christ and for the lost that I can't even really fathom.  And the whole time I was listening to the sermon, and trying to take notes, I kept thinking, "Why is it that we...I...can be so disturbed by the teaching of universalism, and yet be content to stay in our...my...comfort zone and pass by people every day that we *say* we believe are going to Hell, and yet we...I...do nothing about it?"  


It's been on my mind and heart all week.   And I'm asking God to make me aware and prepared for opportunities to do something about it.  I don't want to be, as David Platt describes in this video, a functional universalist.  


David Platt is the author of the book Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
 (which is, btw, one of the best books I've ever read).  He has been in India this week sharing the gospel with some of the 597 million lost people in that country.  He addresses my Sunday morning thoughts in this challenging and convicting video:





No comments: