1.27.2008

The Disappearing Post and a Bloggy Award

I mentioned earlier that I had typed a post on Wednesday and the Blogger Monster ate it...I'm going to attempt it again. :)

I've taken the opportunity with the start of the New Year to do some re-vamping. As I've said a time or two, we've gotten a bit of a rough start to the year with sickness, heating issues, etc., but we are slowly but surely making what I *hope* are going to be some lasting changes for the better. In pondering our schedule, I realized that I have always wanted to have a weekly schedule with specific focus days...laundry day, errand day, desk day, baking day, etc....but somehow that has never worked for us. It finally occurred to me while I was washing dishes one day (which is, of course, when all my best thoughts come ;-)) that the *reason* that has never worked for us is that our life tends to be divided into two week segments, not weekly ones. Billy gets paid every two weeks, which means I do our major shopping once every two weeks, which means I menu plan two weeks at a time. We usually go to the library every two weeks, and I usually pay bills every two weeks. In a lightbulb moment, I decided that perhaps what we needed was not a weekly schedule, but a *two week schedule*. I finally sat down and hammered it out, and I *think* it is going to work really well. We're just getting our feet wet with it, but so far, it's a keeper.

We'll be modifying as we go along, I'm sure, but here's the current version:

Week 1--Payday Week
Week 2--Non-Payday Week

Sunday 1--Worship/Planning and Quiet Day (Reading)
Monday 1--Laundry*/Zone Cleaning
Tuesday 1--Heavy Clean/Declutter
Wednesday 1--Planning (Menu/Grocery List/School, etc.)
Thursday 1--Projects/Home Redo (Co-Op Feb.-Mar.)
Friday 1--Shopping/Errands
Saturday 1--Family Day

Sunday 2--Worship/Planning and Quiet Day (Reading)
Monday 2--Bulk Cooking/Laundry*
Tuesday 2--Heavy Clean/Declutter
Wednesday 2--Bill Pay/Projects/Computer (Photos, etc.)
Thursday 2--Zone Clean/House Redo (Co-Op Feb.-Mar.)
Friday 2--School Enrichment/Catch-Up
Saturday 2--Family Day

*We do laundry almost every day around here, but the listed laundry days will be a time to focus on *special* laundry...things that need to be washed separately, handwashing, bed linens, and mending.

This will be our first *normal* two week cycle since starting the new schedule, so I'll try to report back in a few weeks about how it's working.

And speaking of schedules...I have mentioned a few times that I have been completely off of any semblance of one lately as far as the computer and blogging are concerned. Because of that, I am woefully behind in acknowledging a very special bloggy award from Julie at Joyful Days.
Julie has been such an encouragement and inspiration to me ever since we have *crossed blogs*. :) Her comments always bring a smile! (Even when she is trying to add to my laundry pile! :-D) Her sweet words with this award came on a really rough day and brought tears to my eyes. Had she not been the one to pass "The Daily Dose" on to me, she would certainly have been one of the first I thought of as my own *Daily Doses". Thanks, Julie, for making my day!!

The Daily Dose was created by Xandra of Called According to His Purpose. Here is what she says about it:

"...here's to all the blogs that you've discovered that you can't possibly live without. They make you laugh, cry, think and feel connected every time you read a post. They give you a thrill as you see them loading into your browser and you get an equally satisfying thrill when you see that they have commented on your blog."

I'll have to come back tonight and add my list of "Daily Doses"...once I narrow them down! For now, I've typed too long and I've got to get ready for church *fast*!

1 comment:

Joyful Days said...

I'm so glad we "crossed blogs!" I love that phrase.

Your two week schedule is really a fantastic idea. I'd never thought about it like that, but it is true, we live around that paycheck too. Especially groceries.

I'm going to ponder this and think on how I might apply it.