1.07.2013

{Vintage Eats} Daddy's Mexican Cornbread





So...my pastor AND the "Queen Bee" gave me strict instructions to post this recipe on the blog.  I've been wanting to post some "old family recipes" here, and I decided this was a good one with which to debut "Vintage Eats"...an occasional feature showcasing old, mostly-family, recipes and the stories behind them. 




I have to start out by saying that while this recipe will always be "Daddy's Mexican Cornbread" to me, it actually wasn't original to my dad.  It came from an old church cookbook...don't most of the best recipes come from those?  However, Daddy tweaked it a bit and it became one of his "regulars" back in the day when he used to cook for the annual men's night in the church in which I grew up.  I also requested it most years for my birthday meal.  (One of these days, I'll post Daddy's chili recipe which was the other half of that meal. :))

Here's the recipe...

Mexican Cornbread

1 Can Chopped Green Chilis
1 Can Cream Style Corn
1/2 Cup Milk
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Eggs
1 Cup Corn Meal

Mix ingredients well and pour into 9x9 square pan.  Bake in 400 degree oven for one hour.  Let cool a bit before removing from pan.  

(I doubled the recipe and used 2 9-inch round pans.  I also put a dollop of bacon grease in the pan and melted it before adding the cornbread mixture.)





Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar.








No comments: