12.13.2012

12 Days of Treats {Lottie Moon Cookies}





Day 2 of 12 Days of Treats!  As I mentioned yesterday, December 12 is the birthday of Lottie Moon, Southern Baptist missionary to China.  When Lottie first went to China,  she was called the "foreign devil" because the Chinese people...particularly the children...didn't trust the white woman among them.  Lottie began to bake cookies for them in an attempt to win them over.  Once they realized that her cookies weren't poisoned, they began to warm up to the cookies *and* the missionary lady.  She was no longer known as the "foreign devil", but was known as the "cookie lady".


Yesterday we talked about Lottie Moon in school, and then I decided it would be fun to make "Lottie's cookies".   They were very simple and quite good.  Best of all, the ingredients are things I always have available.  That's always a plus! :)  (Note: I found several recipes for Lottie Moon cookies online.  This is a composite of several. :))


Lottie Moon Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp. cream (I ended up using about 2 Tbsp.)

Preheat oven to 425.  Beat together butter and sugar, add the egg and mix well.  Add the flour and cream.  (I had to add a second tablespoon of cream to make a dough at this point...with 1 tablespoon I just had a bowl of crumbs. :))  Roll into 1 inch balls, place on cookie sheet, and bake about 9 minutes.


I'd love to hear from you!!  I'd love to hear about your favorite holiday treats in the comments section.  Also...a friend and I are on a quest for a great recipe for cornmeal biscuits (similar to the Grands Cornmeal Biscuits that apparently aren't made anymore).  If you have a great cornmeal biscuit recipe, we'd love to try it!  You can post in the comments or email me using the email link in the "About Me" section.  


Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar. 


No comments: