5.02.2010

Sunday Night Snippets

Did you ever have one of those times when humanly speaking, you knew you "should" stay home from church, but you just felt like you had to be there anyway?

I hadn't even opened my eyes all the way this morning when I realized I was in the midst of a bad pain flare.  I got up prepared to take it slowly and push through as usual, but quickly realized that wasn't going to work today.  Emlyn had had a hard time sleeping and wasn't feeling well last night, so we decided she would stay home as well.  

I debated all afternoon about going to church tonight.  I had a church-related obligation I *really* needed to make this afternoon, but at several points had decided even that wasn't possible.  By the time it was over, I knew the "smart" thing to do was head home and go to bed.   But...I just kept feeling like I needed to get there.

And I did.  Did get there, and did need to. :)   Have you ever noticed that it seems like the services that are the hardest to get to are the ones you need the most?  What a blessing!

First...one of those "I've sung this hymn a million times but the words never really struck me until now" moments.  Aren't these words beautiful??


Why Do I Sing About Jesus?
Deep in my heart there is gladness;
Jesus has saved me from sin!
Praise to His name, what a Savior!
Cleansing without and within!
Why do I sing about Jesus?
Why is He precious to me?
He is my Lord and my Savior;
Dying, He set me free!
Only a glimpse of His goodness;
That was sufficient for me.
Only one look at my Savior;
Then was my spirit set free.
Why do I sing about Jesus?
Why is He precious to me?
He is my Lord and my Savior;
Dying, He set me free!
He is the fairest of fair ones;
He is the Lily, the Rose.
Rivers of mercy surround Him;
Grace, love, and pity He shows.
Why do I sing about Jesus?
Why is He precious to me?
He is my Lord and my Savior;
Dying, He set me free!
--Albert Allen Ketchum

Then, Lyndel sang an old favorite of mine that I hadn't heard in a long time.  I've been processing through some new "layers" of the situation we've been dealing with for the past 3+ years this week, and I sat with tears in my eyes as I listened to the words of this song.   I always think of BMA camp when I hear this song, and as I listened to the words, I thought about singing them there so many times years ago, and how true they were.   As a teenager sitting in the camp chapel so many years ago, I had no idea what was in store for me 20 to 25 years later.  If I had, I would have started running and never, ever come back!  Of course, had anyone been able to tell me what was to come, I would never have believed them.  There was no way my life and my family would be touched by those things.  And yet...God has proven Himself faithful...just as these lyrics express...time and time again.

He knew...all those many years ago when I was sitting in that camp chapel in Ringgold, Louisiana...exactly what the last few years of my 30s and the first of my 40s would hold.  And His presence has truly gone before us and He has held my hand through every millisecond of it.  It was so amazing to have that "flashback" moment and see the truth of this song in my life from then until now.   Another incredible reminder of His sovereignty.

I don't know about tomorrow;
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

I don't know about tomorrow;
It may bring me poverty.
But the one who feeds the sparrow,
Is the one who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion
May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me
And I'm covered with His blood.



--Ira Stanphill


Then...Bro. Kent's sermon.  I had planned to post notes, but I think I'll leave you hanging...:-D  Seriously, I've been in this chair much longer than I should have and my body is screaming that it is time for rest.  See tomorrow's Daybook post for snippets from tonight's session in Ecclesiastes.  Good stuff.  *Really* good stuff.   So...come back tomorrow. :)

Speaking of tomorrow, I have issued a challenge to myself to publish a post every day this week.  This despite the fact that Billy is on vacation this week, which means our schedule is completely topsy-turvy. :)  So...check in and see how I do with my challenge!


siggy1

No comments: