1.05.2010

Simple Woman's Daybook...on Tuesday












FOR TODAY... January 5, 2010

Outside my window... gray and very, very cold.

I am thinking... that sometimes you just have to laugh. Last Monday I posted in my Daybook that the week between Christmas and New Year's is my favorite week of the year.  I had all kinds of intentions to plan the new semester and the new year during the last few days of 2009.  I foresaw quiet days of goal-setting, lesson planning, and even some scrapbooking.  



Tuesday evening I came home from the store ready to have a nice dinner and a quiet evening with my family.  The phone rang just as I came in the door; it was my aunt calling to tell me things weren't looking good with my grandfather.  By the time I reached my mom at the nursing home, where she had been with Papa, he was gone.  


In that few minutes, my plans for the week went out the window.  Instead of planning the new year and coming semester of school, we were planning a funeral, with all the meetings, errands, and other tasks that come along with that.  


I posted this as my Facebook status this morning..."came home last Tuesday night & answered the phone...and *poof*...it's suddenly Tuesday again. I lost a week in there somewhere! Unfortunately, it was the week I had intended to plan our new semester of school, which needs to start this morning.:) Guess we'll wing it today and hope for time & a clear mind tonight to at least plan the rest of the week...God's timing is always perfect, & I know He will direct our steps."



I am thankful for... so many blessings I've been reminded of this week!  The legacy of close relationships with all four of my grandparents, and having *all* of them as part of my life for my first 17 years.  It's so odd to realize that they are all gone now.  The gift of Godly parents.  A husband who works hard to provide for our family, is a Godly husband and father, and who spoils me rotten.  A church family that truly is a family...they are such a blessing!  Bro. Kent, Bro. Phil, and Lyndel...what a blessing to have a pastor, former pastor, and minister of music who are not only solidly grounded in the Word, but who are also committed to ministering to the needs of the flock.  The most wonderful friends *anywhere*.  Days worth of food provided by friends during this time...what a blessing when I have been totally exhausted from all that has needed to be done in preparation for the funeral, and Billy has been worn out from keeping the house running in the meantime.  Most of all, the truth, hope, and comfort of God's Word, which is always relevant no matter the time or situation!

I am wearing... my warmest sweats.  It is COLD this morning!


I am remembering... snow and ice 14 years ago tomorrow!  I had a bridal shower at Becky Ellis's house in Conway that day, and was amazed at the people who braved the cold and ice to come...including my wonderful, crazy friend Tauna who came all the way from Arkadelphia in the snow and ice.  The next week was sunny and beautiful for our wedding...looking forward to sunny and beautiful again soon!!

I am going... out as little as possible this week!  We are looking forward to normal church activities tomorrow night, after a nice break, but other than that, I hope to stay HOME after running around for a solid week.

I am currently reading... I had also planned to spend hours reading last week, which needless to say didn't happen.  I'm hoping to make up for it this week!  



On the list this week...The Jesus You Can't Ignore, by John MacArthur, and Eat to Live, by Joel Fuhrman, both Christmas presents, and Simple Compassion, for a book review.  Also Educating the Whole-Hearted Child, by Clay and Sally Clarkson, and Heart of Wisdom, by Robin Sampson, in preparation for school planning.  

I am hoping... for a smooth, boring week this week!  And for warmer weather SOON.

On my mind... lots of plans for 2010 swirling in my head that I so want to sit down and get on paper!!

Pondering these words... "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." ~ Ephesians 2:8-10



These verses were some of my grandfather's favorites, and they've been on my mind all week as we've made arrangements.  I posted them on my Facebook wall yesterday, and my friend Julianne reminded me that the Greek word that is translated "workmanship" in the KJV is poema, from which we also get our word poem.  She pointed out that we are God's artwork, poems written by His very Hand, His masterpieces.  What a beautiful thought!

From the kitchen... We are still finishing up the last of the food that was brought last week.  I need to make a bunch of banana bread for the freezer today, to use up bananas I bought for 10 cents a pound last week.

Around the house... Trying to get things back in order after a crazy week.  Need desperately to get my desk cleaned off (again :)) today, and hopefully get some decluttering done in the next day or two.

One of my favorite things~ The love and encouragement of the Body of Christ, which we have seen in so many ways this week.

From my picture journal... 



A couple of pictures of Papa I pulled out for the Memorial dvd.  He was so proud of his great-grandchildren, and they loved their Great-Papa!





For more Daybook posts, visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

No comments: