12.28.2009

Simple Woman's Daybook...My Favorite Week of the Year!








FOR TODAY...December 28, 2009

Outside my window... Cold and sunny, with lingering patches of our Christmas Eve snow.

I am thinking... about the ways God prepares us for each season of our lives through the lessons of the last, and wondering what the preparation of the last few years is leading up to for our family.

I am thankful for... God's grace and blessing through the Christmas season, with beautiful reminders of His great Love Gift and wonderful worship opportunities.

I am wearing... Razorback sweats, hiking socks, and warm slippers.  It's 52 degrees in the house right now. :)

I am remembering... the simple beauty of our Christmas Eve worship service...I'm so thankful for the focus on reverent worship in our church, and even more so as I realize how rare that is becoming in today's churches.

I am going... shopping with Bay in a bit for her friend's birthday gift.

I am currently reading... new Christmas books!  The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Eat to Live (anyone else amused by the irony in that combo?? :)), and John MacArthur's The Jesus You Can't Ignore.   Also reading Restoring Broken Things, by Steven Curtis Chapman and Scotty Smith.  


I am hoping... that the roads don't get bad with the predicted snow tomorrow night.

On my mind... plans for the new year...looking forward to some time to get them down on paper in the next few days!

Pondering these words... "The  only basis for any real and lasting hope--about anything--is that Jesus died for our sins on the Cross, was buried in a tomb, and was raised from the dead on the third day, inaugurating the greatest restoration project imaginable.  Jesus has promised to make all things new, and He has also given us His word that He will return one day to completely rid the world of every expression and evidence of death and sin..." ~ Steven Curtis Chapman, Restoring Broken Things

From the kitchen... Meatballs in the crock pot for supper, with plans for Pioneer Woman's Monkey Muffins for dessert.  Yum!

Around the house... Christmas decorations are still up at the moment..we'll see if they last until the new year. :)  Tradition at my house was to leave them up until after New Year's Day...I always wanted them to stay up until my birthday on the 31st.  Billy's from the "take it all down the day after Christmas" camp.

One of my favorite things~ this week between Christmas and New Year's!  It's always been my favorite week of the year.  That probably started due to my birthday falling on the 31st, but now I love it because it has a different "flavor" than any other week of the year.  There is still a lingering of the beauty of Christmas, with a continuation of holiday spirit due to the coming New Year's celebration.  The shopping, cooking, and preparation deadlines of Christmas are over, and it is usually a "slow" week commitment-wise.   And what a week for a "planner/list-maker", as goals and plans for the new year are being created!

From my picture journal... 







(Our new chihuahua/rat terrier mix puppy.  This was my surprise Christmas gift from Billy. :)  Isn't she cute???  Her name is Wilhemina Rose.  I didn't *want* a dog...but I couldn't resist her when she showed up.  She was about to have to be taken to the shelter, and she came with her own food, carrier, and all her initial vet stuff done.  How could I say no? :))


For more Daybooks, visit Peggy's blog.  

1 comment:

dtbrents said...

You have a lovely blog. Your dogs are so cute. I also have four children. All grown not. Do you live in AR. I live in Russellville AR. I hope you have a great week. Doylene