10.25.2011

In "Other" Words ~ Loving the Unloving





It seems like I say it at least 3 times a day some days..."It's not hard to be kind to your siblings when they are being nice to you...it's being nice to your siblings when they aren't being nice to you that counts."  


Some days, they do well with that...others, I find myself thinking "Will this EVER sink in?"  


And then I realize that God could say the same about me.  He keeps teaching...and I keep resolving to do better...and then the neighbors do something annoying, or someone pulls out in front of me during traffic, or...or...or...


And I am reminded that one of the best ways for my children to learn this is to see it in me.  Ouch. 


Bro. Kent has been preaching from Romans 12:9-10 the last couple of Sundays.  Here are a few snippets from my notes...


     * God calls every believer to a Spirit-led life built on the foundation of love.  We are to be 
        characterized by love.

     * Agape love, focusing selflessly on the beloved...as opposed to the "norm" in our culture, 
        which seems to be, "I will love you as long as you make me happy and meet my needs."
        (That kind of "love" actually selfishness masquerading as love...)

     * Agape loves whether the beloved can make you happy or not...We could NEVER meet
        God's needs or make Him happy...He needs NOTHING, and is totally self-sufficient. 

     * They don't deserve our love, but neither do we deserve Jesus's love...we are called to 
         love them as He loves us. 

     * Jesus Himself said that they will know we are Christians NOT because we call ourselves  
        Christians, but because we love one another. 



     
Loving the unlovely isn't easy.  As Bro. Kent said Sunday morning, we have to crucify our pride every moment of every day in order to do this.  BUT...as he also reminded us Sunday, it is God's will for us to do this, and therefore when we pray that He will make us able to love and honor others as He commands, we can be confident that He will give us the grace and the power to do it.  I realize that too often, I don't even ask.  


"If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ~ Luke 6:32-36

Living for God is our host this week for In "Other" Words Tuesday.  Thanks to her for hosting and for selecting this week's quote.   Please visit her blog to see what others are sharing about this quote today.  




4 comments:

Twinkle Mom said...

Fantastic post and spot on with the verse!!!

Anonymous said...

Romans is wonderful! I loved your honesty and your or's...I can relate.

All thru Him,
Cin

LivingforGod said...

Great post. "...It is God's will for us to do this, and therefore when we pray that He will make us able to love and honor others as He commands, we can be confident that He will give us the grace and the power to do it. I realize that too often, I don't even ask." How true! If we rely only on our human love (selfish and conditional), we will certainly fail.

Tami said...

Crucifying our pride every moment of every day? Ouch. May me more like You, Lord.