5.18.2013

Reminder from the Sparrow House


 



God sometimes uses the most unexpected ways to remind us how much He cares for us.

Confession Time:  I've struggled with worry lately.  The past few years, that seems to come in waves.  There are times when my trust in Him seems strong, when I am confident in Him no matter what is happening in my little part of the world.  And then there are those other times...times when the anxiety hits hard, and it's a battle to keep it at bay.

Last night I was losing the battle.  I began to recite promises in my head, almost by rote, and I prayed, "Father, help me trust you.  I know that you are in control, I know these promises.  Help me believe them in my heart as well as in my head."

This morning, Billy came in and said, "Our neighbors are back."  It was early, I was still trying to get my brain to catch up with my body in the waking up thing, so I said, "What neighbors?  I didn't know our neighbors were gone."

He said, "In the birdhouse.  On the porch."

OHHHH...those neighbors! :)

I peeked out the front window, and sure enough, there they were.  I knew I'd never manage to get a picture.  Our vintage door is old and somewhat noisy, and I couldn't imagine getting it open without scaring them away.

I had to try anyway. :)  I grabbed my camera, carefully pulled the door open just enough to stick the lens through the crack...and they didn't move.  They almost seemed as though they were posing for me, in fact.

As I closed the door, the lyrics to "His Eye is on the Sparrow" began playing through my head:

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
 
Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
        
I'm a bit surprised, as much as I love hymn stories, and as much as I love this particular hymn, that I had never looked up the story behind it.  This morning I did.  It was written by Mrs. Civilla Martin in 1905, after she and her husband had visited their friends the Doolittles in New York.  Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for over 20 years, and Mr. Doolittle was wheelchair bound.  The Martins were struck by their strong Christian faith and "bright hopefulness", despite their conditions.  When Mr. Martin asked about this, Mrs. Doolittle explained, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."  Those words inspired Mrs. Martin to pen the words to this beloved hymn.

What a perfect reminder of God's care for us always!


Thanks for visiting Ponderings of an Elect Exile!  Don't want to miss a post?  Please take a minute to follow Ponderings of an Elect Exile on FacebookTwitter, and/or Pinterest.  Or subscribe by email via the box in the sidebar.  I'd also love to hear from you in the comments or via the email option on my profile page.
If you enjoy the content on Ponderings of an Elect Exile, please share with others using the share buttons below, or the Pin It buttons above.  Thank you! 


No comments: